Sunday 20 March 2016

Outfit #9


This is a pretty old set - they're building up on my Polyvore, so I sort of gave up naming them all after a while.

This set was based around the Theory shorts and the Rick Owens sweater. I love sweaters with extra-long sleeves, because I'm 5'11" (180cm) with the obligatory long arms. People often say they'd like to be taller, but it's not really that great. You have to choose tops and sweaters with care, otherwise it looks like they shrank in the wash. The cropped sweater trend was a nightmare of finding something you really like, then checking it out in the mirror and realising you look like you shop in the kids' section.*
Ditto trousers - capri pants are usually acceptable, but pegged or ankle-length trousers look daft unless you're wearing heels or boots.
So, that's why I like extra-long everything - it makes me look less giraffe-like. It's the same principle as the "huge bag, huge sunglasses, big floppy hat" trend from a couple of years ago: if all your accessories are huge, you look smaller in comparison. There's a hint of Lewis Carroll about the whole thing, IMO.


*(Confession: I actually do shop in the kid's section on occasion. They often go up to sizes for 13-15 year olds - in fact H&M have a lot of things that will even fit giraffes like me. You have to trawl through a lot of glittery pink gear, but there's good stuff to be found. Their boys' T-shirts are pretty awesome too. Also, if you have a Primark near you, the best T-shirts are in men's section.)

No comments:

Post a Comment